2 Fire Hazards You Should Avoid During An Electrical Outage

Posted on: 20 April 2015

Electricity may have not always been a necessity, but in the modern home an electrical issue that causes an outage can make you feel like you are living in little more than a tent. While you are waiting on the residential electrician to arrive for repairs, you may be tempted to do a lot of things just to make your home feel more functional. While using a flashlight and firing up the grill out back is fine, there are definitely some things you could do that can put you and your family in danger. Here are two unsafe practices to avoid during an electrical outage that could easily cause a fire in your home.

Using Candles for Overnight Lighting

Candles can be a great temporary source of light in a dark room and many of them will burn for hours before burning out. However, did you know that between 2007 and 2011 more than 10,000 house fires were the result of a candle burning? Even worse, the majority of these fires originated in the bedrooms of homes after people fell asleep. If you must use a candle for a light source, make sure that it is never left unsupervised and always extinguished before you fall asleep. If you have little ones who are afraid of the dark, allow them to leave a small flashlight burning instead of a candle. You may have to buy new batteries in the morning, but fire will not be a concern with a flashlight.

Using a Neglected Fireplace for Heat

If you have electric heat and power problems in cold temperatures, you may be tempted to gather up some firewood and strike a match to that old fireplace to keep everyone in the house warm. If it has been a few years since you have used the fireplace, it is never a good idea to start when the chimney has not been thoroughly inspected and cleaned out. The last thing you want is a house full of smoke and a potential fire hazard in addition to no power. If you have to, take up refuge with a neighbor or family member until the electrician arrives.

Being without electricity temporarily can be a hassle, but it is not a time when you should forget to keep safety in mind. It is always a much better idea to rough it in the dark or the cold for a few hours than to make costly mistakes that could put your family in danger.

Share